Thursday, October 4, 2012

Debating

I rarely talk politics. This is why.

I hate debates. Let's be honest, arguing rarely gets anything done or sways anyones opinion. Debating, to me, just seems like pointless argumentative phrases thrown back and forth between two people who both equally believe that they are the solution, or that they have one, to a problem. It all seems very dull and I would much rather witness someone doing a kind deed or speaking a good word towards someone else than listen to them say what they plan on doing in the future. I very much dislike politics in any and all proportions. I see that they are necessary to run a functioning democracy. I can admit that the government has an effect on my life and that there are sides to issues. However, I do not find debating sides constructive or politics a solution to our nation's problems.

This is why I chose to not watch the debate or participate in the ongoing social network debates. This is why I am probably not voting. Our nation gives us more than two sides, but I think we can all admit that there never seem to be. It always feels like we are only voting for the lesser of two evils. And right now: you are either for Romney, for Obama, against Romney or against Obama. Those are the visibile options for you in this upcoming election. (I'm sure either man would do what he considers his best in the office. Afterall, why would you run in the race to destroy a nation that was founded on freedom?) I guess you could argue that point or any of the others I have stated, feel free to do so. It is, after all, a free country and this is the internet.

Anyways, to me, politics are a flawed attempt to finding a solution for the problems of the people. I do not think that politics, debates, or governments can fundamentally save people from whatever oppression they are bound to face in life. I cannot claim that I would be a better solution than anyone running for office or that I know a human that is. All I can claim is that people are flawed, sinful, and hurting. Our only solution and hope, in life, is Christ. Without Him, I would be aimless and without purpose. My life is owed to Him. I cannot honestly seek a refuge in political ideas or a government and take my faith seriously at the same time.
For me, it is simply not possible.



No comments: