Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Two years.

Two years ago, today, I made the second best decision I have ever made.
    I moved to Texas.

At 9am I packed the last couple of things into my little '00 Saturn sedan, Stella, and I was saying the hardest goodbyes I've ever said. I never knew driving down that street would be so hard. It felt like I was losing a limb. The things that haunted me, the memories that followed me like a ghost. I left them all behind.

It was for the best. I stand by that.

I cried until I saw the Oklahoma border. I cried about leaving the city I've always loved. I cried for the people I would miss. I cried about missing their big life moments. They would marry the people they love, and I would miss watching them fall in love. I wan't going to see them have children, buy their first homes, and settle into the rhythms of life. I wasn't going to be a part of their story. They would move on with their lives, without cupcake dates and late nights at the Saucer.

It was for the best. I knew it would be.

And here I am, on a rainy and cold March morning, still in Texas. Two years have passed and I would not have traded the past two years for anything. Yes, my heart still aches for the people that know the worst parts of me and loved me anyways. The ones that saved the little life I had when I was the worst version of myself. I don't think I'll ever stop missing them. I still miss my city, and I visit it as often as I can. I miss cupcake dates and late nights at the Saucer.

It was for the best. I know it.

In two years I have experienced so much joy, so much life. I have found new little places to call home, and a few dozen coffee shops. Most importantly, I have found my people. I can't begin to express the gratitude I have for the people that have let me fall into their lives. The grace, love, and support that my TX friends have shown me makes me feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

It was for the best. It was!


2 comments:

Ayeshia Duru said...

Although we dont know each other well (hoping that will change) glad to know you and grateful for what you bring to worship on Sundays. One day I'll be brave to sing in a worship grp/choir again. Love the rhythm of your blog.

Ayeshia Duru said...

Although we dont know each other well (hoping that will change) glad to know you and grateful for what you bring to worship on Sundays. One day I'll be brave to sing in a worship grp/choir again. Love the rhythm of your blog.