Thursday, January 1, 2015

My year of strength...

2014, I can't believe it's over. What a year full of bravery and ridiculousness. Looking back, it feels like the craziest dream. In 2014 I resolved to do seven things, and I'm glad to say I met 6 of my 7 resolutions.
It was a year for adventure and discovery. I lived the entire calendar year in Texas. I got a big kid job, went to my first music festival, bought my first real car, became a Texas resident, read more books, dreamed a little bigger, let my heart loose a bit more. I moved into a house and took a roadtrip home just for real BBQ and a royals game. I made new friends, sang my heart out, and became a little more brave.

2015 looks promising so far, and I'm going to deem it a year of strength. 


I resolve to...
1. Read even more. I want to dig into a few classics this year, and even thought my dream of reading a book per week failed about three months in, I want to keep that dream alive. I feel so much more productive when I focus less on a screen and more on the open book in front of me. I carry one with me wherever I go, and I want to keep that up. I resolve to read at least 12 new books that challenge my mind and heart.

2. Work on my bravery. Although I focused on bravery last year, I want to keep it a priority. I want to be more bold when it comes to life. Maybe this year I'll learn how to ride a bike or I'll get in a pool more than once. (This sounds ridiculous, but I'm just such a wuss).

3. Be a better friend. I want to work on mercy and compassion this year. I want to not be so icy and abrasive. Although I don't have a lot of faith in this resolution, I would really like to see it shape me into a better person. I tend to be sharp with the people I love entirely too often.

4. Write more. I want to finish a song, and write more in my journal. I miss it, and I miss making time to myself matter. Netflix is stealing my brain, and I need it back.

5. Be strong. I want 2015 to be a year of strength. I'm turning 25 this year, and I'd really like to say that at 25 I could stand up for myself and for the things I believe. The strength I want to find rests more in the hands of God than anything else. I would really love to be the kind of person that is unwavering, consistent, and less conditional in my relationships. I want to be more solid and feel less like an aimless tornado in life.

6. Budget better. I just bought a new(to me) car, and I plan on moving again this spring. It can all happen, and I don't have to be tight.... As long as I get a handle on my budget and plan. I've called my dad and he crunched those numbers like nobody's business, and it's time to put the plan into action.

7. Let go. I want to be less bitter this year. I want to stop focusing so much on pleasing other people and just be. I want to be a more confident and free. Here's to hoping my rule-following self can just learn to live a little and hold on to less heartache.

So, cheers to your new year and your resolutions. Let's make 2015 a year to be proud of.
Love,
Cass

No comments: