Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Be You.

It's funny how five year olds can be the best people we know.


My dear friend Jade, a fantastic mother of four at the ripe age of 24, has (along with her hubs) raised a wonderful bunch of kiddos. They are sweet, genuine, unique. All the good things kids can be, with I'm sure their fair share of tantrums and tears. (Luckily, I've never had to witness any of that.) Anyways...

Jade's eldest daughter, who I call Lady Mack, is a total sweetheart. Tonight, she relayed some fantastic advice in regards to boys and life.

"Daddy says when you feel pretty, make sure the gentleman holds the door for you. And if he picks you a daisy he'll be your best buddy." 

 Lady Mack is right, her dad is right. Feel pretty, be confident, and never settle for less than the best.

.....

I think for the first time in my life I'm not afraid to be that. Of course, I have my moments and my occasional days (or weeks) when life seems rough and I feel little and insignificant. I do not think those days will ever cease to exist. Still, I feel brave. There is no one else to give the credit to, than God himself. For creating the state of Texas, the people I have met here, and all of the things in life that have brought me here. This move continues to be the best idea ever placed in my head by the big man upstairs. Sure, it's hard. Absolutely, I miss my friends at home and going out for dinner with my fam or the entire group of loving people that have become family through the years. Still, I am so glad to be here and to be challenged daily with being myself.

I just spent a solid hour chatting with Audra (one of my roommates) about just that. It's amazing how different I feel than even two months ago. Never have I ever felt brave before, I am the biggest pansy I know (hence, the pansy adventures). Never, ever have I had the courage to just be the same in front of whatever audience surrounds me. There are so many people in my life that have always encouraged me to be myself, but I have never once taken them seriously. That is, until now. It's simple really.

Be you. Regardless.
Be genuine. Regardless.
Be transparent. Regardless

Some people will love you. Some will not.
Some people will open doors, pick daisies and do things "just because." Some will not. 
Life continues.  Never settle for treatment less than you deserve.

It's easier said than done. I know that full well.

No comments: