Tuesday, February 11, 2014

24: My book list.

Alright, here's my reading list for my 24th year.
So far, I've split my book list into 7 weird sections.


"Hubub" - books that people can't seem to stop talking about

          Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
          An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
          What She Saw by Lucinda Rosenfeld
          The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
          Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
          The Quiet American by Graham Greene
          The Recognitions by William H. Gaddis
          White Noise by Don DeLillo
          My Antonia by Willa Cather
          Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
          The Body of Christopher Creed by Carol Plum-Ucci
          I Wrote This For You by Pleasefindthis
       
"Classics" - books I should have read in high school/college

           The Bell Jar by Slyvia Plath
           A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
           The Beautiful & Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
           A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

"Heart" - books that challenge my faith, encourage creativity and inspire life

           Letters To A Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
           The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter
           The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
           Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon
           Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"Mind" - books that challenge my mind/teach me

          The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
          Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
          Spark by John J. Ratey
          Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
          The Destiny Decade by Meg Jay
          Tribes by Seth Godin
          Smart Kids, Bad Schools by Brian Crosby
          Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
          Quiet: The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain

"Growth" - books for 20-somethings & wanders like myself

           Girls In White Dresses by Jennifer Close
           Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
           Necessary Errors by Caleb Crain
           Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
           I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
           Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
           MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche
           Storyline by Donald Miller
          A Million Miles in A Thousand Years by Donald Miller
          Packing Light by Allison Vesterfelt
          Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
          Love Does by Bob Goff

"Culture" - books by/about celebrities

           I'm Proud of You by Tim Madigan
           Bossypants by Tina Fey
           Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
           Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres
           Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
           Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

"The Journey" - roadtrips/destinations/coming-of-age stories

           On the Road by Jack Kerouac
           Just One Day by Gayle Forman
           First Love by James Patterson
           The Final Country by James Crumley
          



In the next few weeks I'll be seriously considering giving this up as I figure out how much this goal is going to cost me. This is going to be a commitment. Honestly, it's probably the biggest commitment, thus far, of my life. (I'm not sure if I should be excited, terrified, or anxious)

I'll be starting the first week of April. Wish me luck.

No comments: