Friday, March 14, 2014

Beginning the Challenge.

Book 1 of 52 wasn't even on my list. It was handed to me, and I'm confident it was a total "God-thing."

God is Able
by Priscilla Shirer

I couldn't find it in me to put this book down. It was a quick, easy-read, and a very inspiring book to start my challenge. 
It breaks down Ephesians 3:20-21, each chapter focusing on a single word or a small phrase, to showcase the ability and glory of God in the little things. I've always believed God is good, even in the darkest days, I knew His plan was always ultimately good. God's ability to move, I never doubted, as long as it wasn't actually in my life. I've seen true poverty, in America and across the globe. I know there are huge aches in this world, and I believe that God will restore them for His glory. However, often I forget that God can heal my aches. He can heal my heart. It is just that simple. He has the ability to move in my life, just like in the lives of others, and He wants to.

Priscilla Shirer had my attention in the very first chapter...

"You feel like you've done everything you can think of. And honestly, you're starting to seriously wonder if God can do this, if He can do... it. You'd like to think He can. And if you were to spout all your churchy rhetoric, it'd sure sound like you believe He can. But deep down- down where your soul pulses with doubt and uneasiness- you wonder about that circumstance, that life issue, that dilemma you're facing. God may be able to keep the stars in the sky, the earth tilted on it's axis, and the heavens hung in glorious array. But can He do this?" 

Texas has been tough lately. I am very thankful for the community that I have here. However, I have struggled with some serious bouts of homesickness and loneliness lately. I just really needed to read this book in this season. I found myself completely relating to Shirer, because like her, I grew up in the church. I've been an active part of ministry since before I can really remember. I forget that the church and God's work is for me too. That I am equally sinful and in need of an immeasurable amount of rescuing. I've never gone a day without, but that doesn't mean that my aches are without pain. I forget, too easily, that God saved me and that He continues to every single day. 

.....

So, read this book, or read Ephesians.  

No comments: